Though it is the smallest of the three main U.S Virgin Islands, St. John’s unspoiled beauty is perhaps the greatest found anywhere in the Caribbean.
Archaeological evidence suggests that the Arawak and Carib Indians inhabited St. John as early as 770 BC, however lasting settlements started to emerge when the Danish government took possession in 1684. The St. John Inn was constructed during that time period! The United States purchased St. John from the Danish West India and Guinea Company in 1917. In 1956, Laurance Rockefeller donated over 5,000 acres of the island to the National Park Service. And. while the Inn has had many owners, current ownership has been in place for nearly two decades.